Friday, March 30, 2012

Final Blog Post

This is going to be my last post.  Explanation after the jump.


Yesterday, I went back to Renolia as Catherine requested.  She was waiting there for me, and Theo was there as well.  They looked a bit sad.  I asked "What's wrong?  Lose the dragon scales?"

Catherine sighed.  "No.  I have them, and I can do the spell."

"Then why do you two look so sad?"

"The spell I know isn't designed to fix the Passage.  It's designed to close it."

I thought for a moment.  "So why not open a new Passage after you close this one?"

"I can't without sending whatever power allows us to use magic back to your world.  I don't know what kind of an effect that would have on your world, but it would utterly destroy our own economy.  Our entire society is based on magic.  We can't function without it."

"So what you're saying is, I have to choose which side I want to stay on."

Everyone went silent.  Catherine stared off into the distance.  After awhile, and without turning to look at me, she said "The spell should look wonderful if viewed from this side of the portal.  I would hate for you to miss out on it."

I didn't respond.  Theo said "It's your choice, but I just want to make sure you realize that you, if what you did to get the scales was any indication, you could very well be the greatest wizard since the ones who created the Passage.  If you stayed here, you could lead Renolia into a new age of enlightenment."

I didn't respond to Theo either.  What could I do?  Leave behind all my friends and family?  Give up magic forever?  All I could think of was how I wished I could be in two places at once...  Then, I realized something.  Maybe, just maybe, I could.  I focused all of my mental capacity on the idea of creating a perfect copy of myself.  I spoke the word "clone", and...
...
...
...
...
I didn't do any of that.  I remember it, but I didn't do it.  I inherited the memories of my creation as well as all of Tim's other memories when he made me.  When it was discovered that, despite being identical to the original in every other way, I was unable to use magic, it was quickly decided that I should return (or should I say go for the first time?) to Earth while the original stays in Renolia.  I waved goodbye to myself and to Catherine and Theo, and went through the Passage for the last time.  Technically my first, though I clearly remember going through it many times before.

My thoughts are filled with philosophical questions.  Am I a unique person?  Am I the person known as "Tim", or am a new one that just happens to shares his DNA and memories up to the point where I was created?  If I were to somehow meet up with myself several years down the road, would we still be so similar despite radically different environments?

I digress.  Since I no longer have access to Renolia (although I do consider it my birthplace), there is no point in continuing this blog any longer.  Thank you to all who have read my adventures.  Well, they aren't exactly my adventures.  This post is getting long and I'm not sure how to end it, so I think I'll just stop here and find an adventure to call my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment