Monday, March 12, 2012

Eclipse (part one)

Sorry I didn't post on Friday night, I was a bit busy... (explanation after the jump)
On my daily trip to Renolia, I noticed that it was kind of dark.  This was strange since it should have been the middle of the day.  Theo was there to greet me, but he looked a little freaked out.  I asked "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?  You want to know what's wrong.  Look at the sky.  Or better yet, don't, so you don't burn your eyes out.  We're about an hour away from a total eclipse over here."

I said "Okay, but what's the big deal?  I don't know if you have any superstitions about that type of thing, but I can assure you that it's just the moon or whatever you call the thing orbiting this planet getting in between Renolia and Helios."

"Oh, look at me, I'm from a place where we learned things instead of using magic, so I'm smarter than you.  NO.  Shut up.  Listen.  Every single knight in the royal army, if they can use magic at all, is taught to use Helios as their power source.  Once the moon moves just a bit farther, they will be cut off from that power source.  That leaves only me, you, and maybe a handful of random citizens still able to use magic.  If anyone is planning an attack, this would be the perfect opportunity."

I gave Theo a strange look.  "Aren't you being a bit paranoid?  No one's going to have magic.  What's the worst that could happen?"

"The worst?  A small, yet dedicated, group of disgruntled citizens taught themselves how to use wind as their power source, waiting for this day to launch an all out attack on the castle, or worse, the Passage."

"The Passage?"

"Don't tell me you don't know what the Passage is..."  He shook his head.  "You use it every freaking day.  The Otherwordly Forest?  The Passage is in there.  It links our worlds."

"Oh.  What happens if they attack it?  I'm stuck here?"

He shook his head again.  "That would be the least of your concerns.  The Passage is a messed up snarl of energies that no one fully understands.  It's amazing that people can actually move through it unharmed.  If it was attacked, who knows what could happen."

"Well, what do you want me to do about it?  Nothing's going to happen.  Besides, I have plans tonight."

"Just... stick around for a few hours.  At least until the eclipse is over."

"Okay..."

No comments:

Post a Comment